commonreed.jpg (4675 bytes)

Common Reed
Phragmites australis

What I first believed to be Pampas Grass turned out to actually be the Common Reed. This was a delightful and very easy paper to make. I harvested quite a bit of the green plant and used just the leaves. The reed itself was too tough for my blender and I didn't have a Baby Critter on the way at the time, so I tossed the stems away. I cooked the leaves, after cutting them into 1" lengths or less, for two hours with washing soda (1Tbsp per quart water). The resulting blendered pulp was a nice crisp paper that stayed green. The paper I pulled was fairly thick as I have yet to learn how to judge pulling thinner paper. This paper will be nice decorative paper and will need some kind of surface sealant as it sops up water most willingly!

commonreed001a.jpg (6609 bytes) On the left is a picture of the first few pulls I did lit from the front. The right is lit from behind the paper. Click on the thumbnails for a closer look. commonreed001g.jpg (7452 bytes)
commonreed001c.jpg (7429 bytes) On the left is a picture of the paper with stinkweed seeds and seed hulls lit from the front. The right is lit from behind the paper. commonreed001e.jpg (6843 bytes)

During the months of September/October 2002, I had a booth in the local Farmer's Market. I took the sample papers I had drawn from all the papermaking experiments with me. I found these papers lost their lovely color when exposed to the sun.


Papercrafting
Klamath Falls Flowers
Whidbey & Fidalgo Island Flowers
Home
Email Me: webmistress AT sunnisan DOT com


Copyright 1998-2008 Colleen D. Bergeron.
Last revised: November 14 2008